Work Related trailer towing training, Surrey, Kent, London
Work Related Road Safety - Trailer towing training Surrey, Kent, London
Managing the risks to employees who drive at work requires more than just compliance to road traffic legislation (source: Health and Safety Executive)
Since 1997, any driver who tows a trailer over 750kg or a combination over 3500kg must have the trailer towing category on their driving licence. The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 requires employers, regardless of the type or size of the business, to take appropriate steps to ensure the health and safety of employees and others who may be affected by their activities, including pedestrians, when at work. This includes the time when employees are driving in a company car, a hired vehicle or the employee’s own vehicle.
From April 2008 companies and organisations must take steps to ensure that the requirements of the new Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act have been effectively implemented.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 states employers are required to carry out risk assessments, make arrangements to implement necessary measures, appoint competent people and arrange for appropriate information and training.
Examples of misunderstandings or mismanagement
- Many organisations believe that their staff members who own a driving licence have the necessary skills and knowledge base needed to remain safe on the road whilst conducting company duties.
- Many organisations promote their Corporate Social Responsibilities but do not incorporate their fleet vehicles or drivers.
- Many organisations believe that they are not responsible for vehicles that their staff members own and use for work duties.
- Many companies do not identify staff members that are most at risk and therefore cannot offer satisfactory solutions.
- Many organisations believe their responsibilities are only to their employees and do not extend the duty of care to the self-employed, contractors, volunteers and helpers who carry-out duties that include driving for the company. This includes driving to and from appointments.
- Many organisations do not realise that staff that tow trailers over 750kg need to pass a separate trailer towing test.
- Many companies do not have a written ‘Driving for Work’ policy and handbook for their drivers.
- Many companies are not fully covered against the Corporate Manslaughter Act 2007.
- Many companies do not check with DVLA the validity of a licence
Call TAG Trailer Towing Training on 0330 333 4985 for advice and guidance on your company's Work Related Road Safety policy or Contact us here